This summer, I made a coconut caramel. It’s bad because I’ve been putting it on top of almost everything. It’s so good. And so easy to make. I used to be intimidated by making caramel (boiling sugar is scary…) but now that I’ve gotten over it, this can be bad news for my waistline. So obviously I had to share the love so everyone can make this.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can unsweetened full fat coconut milk (13.66 fluid oz)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 In a thick bottom medium saucepan over medium heat, add butter, sugar, water, and salt. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Step 2 Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add coconut milk and vanilla extract. Stir and bring back to a boil for another 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Step 4 Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes to cool. The caramel sauce will continue to thicken as it comes to room temperature.