Miso plum clafoutis. Have I lost my mind? Not really. Even my husband thought it didn’t sound very good at first. But he soon ate his words, and the clafoutis. Miso has been used in a lot of dishes lately not just as soup or a glaze. It’s actually a great contrast to a sugary dessert.
Miso naturally is very salty and packed with umami. People don’t know this, but most desserts incorporate salt into the recipe. The reason is that the salt acts as a counterbalance to the sugar and makes the flavor sweeter. Miso not only adds salinity, it adds a complexity to the dessert. The miso flavor deepens the profile of the dessert by adding an almost buttery quality and flavor. Not to mention, the saltiness and deep flavors of the miso pair really nicely with the tart and sweet flavors of black plums.
I figured clafoutis would be the perfect dessert to add miso. Clafoutis is a baked dessert with fruit that’s almost like a flan texture. I like clafoutis, but it gets a little one-note for me; even with the fruit. Sometimes flan textured items can be cloying too sweet. I feel it has something to do with the lack of texture and sugar content. I wasn’t wrong. The miso adds a great component to the clafoutis. Don’t believe me? Try it!
Miso Plum Clafoutis
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 pounds black plums, cut into rosettes
- Powdered sugar
- Step 1 Cut the plums and arrange into roses. Set aside.
- Step 2 Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 10″ cake pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Step 3 In a blender, pulse together flour, sugar, milk, eggs, miso, and vanilla extract.
- Step 4 Pour about 1/3 of batter into pan and bake for 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Take out pan, sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar on top and pour in remaining batter.
- Step 6 Arrange plum roses into the batter.
- Step 7 Bake for about 40 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Step 8 Cool immediately.
- Step 9 Top with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.