Ever since spring started, I’ve been waiting for loads of asparagus to hit the markets. And my dream has finally come true! Imperfect finally had organic asparagus in stock. The imperfection was that they were “too thin” but that just means they’re perfect for soup. I immediately placed two bundles in my box for the week.
I love asparagus. There’s something about the texture and taste that just defines spring. They have a wonderful distinct mild and earthy flavor. The asparagus texture is so crisp. My favorite way to prepare asparagus is to grill them with some garlic and lemon juice. So simple but so delicious. Asparagus soup isn’t bad either. It’s also a great way to kick start that summer slim down (soups are scientifically proven to fill you up faster with less amount of food). So dig into this hearty and healthy soup! Not to mention that green is an amazing hue.
Spring Asparagus Soup
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Optional toppings:
- Crème fraîche
- Olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Step 1 In a medium soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic.
- Step 2 Wash and cut the asparagus. Leave about 12-16 asparagus florets whole.
- Step 3 Add asparagus to the pot and sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Step 4 Remove whole asparagus florets from the pot and set aside.
- Step 5 Add chicken broth and allow soup to come to a boil.
- Step 6 Add lemon juice and lower heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Step 7 Turn heat off, add milk, heavy cream, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Step 8 With an immersion blender (or transferring to a blender), blend soup until smooth.
- Step 9 Serve soup with florets as garnish. Top with crème fraîche, olive oil, and/or crushed red pepper flakes.