Still looking for an idea for Mother’s Day? MAKE MAMA AN AFTERNOON TEA SPREAD!
It’s so much easier than you think:
- Finger sandwiches can be made with bread and sandwich accoutrements from the store. Sandwiches can be made a night before and wrapped tightly to avoid the bread from drying out.
- Fresh fruit! Go wild! Buy a variety of berries and even pre-cut fruit from the store. Then just simply arrange them around your sandwiches and pastries.
- Head over to your favorite local bakery and order a variety of baked pastries! Danishes, macarons, cookies, even slices of cake. Get what you want to eat.
I always make a savory scone to pair with my afternoon tea set-up. Scones are simple to make and you probably already have all the ingredients at home already. They’re also really versatile where you can make them into any flavor you want. Sweet, savory; it’s all up to what you, or your mama, likes!
Swap out the cheddar and chives in this recipe with other ingredients to make different types of scones!
Cheddar Chive Scones
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk, plus more for brushing
- 10 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400F.
- Step 2 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Step 4 Add butter, and using a butter knife or dough cutter, break up the butter into the flour. You will want to achieve small cornflake sized pieces of butter.
- Step 5 Make a well in the center and add milk and eggs. Mix up with a spatula until a shaggy dough forms.
- Step 6 Dust a clean working surface with flour and place dough ball on top. Spread out the dough and add cheddar cheese and chives.
- Step 7 Gently fold the dough together to incorporate the cheddar cheese and chives. You do not want to knead.
- Step 8 Wrap the dough with saran wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Step 9 Roll out the dough into a rectangle until about 1 inch thick. Tidy up the corners and edges for a straight edge.
- Step 10 With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Step 11 Place each piece on the baking sheet with 1-2 inches of space in between.
- Step 12 Brush the tops with milk.
- Step 13 Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.