It’s been cherry season in California for the last month or so now. My parents gave me a bag of red cherries. Oddly enough, I don’t like eating cherries on their own. I feel they’re better suited in desserts for some reason. I wanted to take the cherries in a different direction than just the usual cherry pie. A shortcake felt like a good choice. No story behind the recipe this week. Just made what I felt like 🙂
By the way, this shortcake is great for other dishes too if you want to swap out the cherries for another fruit or with whipped cream or jams.
June 17, 2019
: 12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 pounds cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- Pastry Cream
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Step 1 Whisk 1/2 cup milk with eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch in a large bowl.
- Step 2 In a medium saucepan, heat remainder of milk and sugar until warmed.
- Step 3 Slowly whisk milk into egg mixture (do this very slowly to avoid cooking the eggs).
- Step 4 Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat until pastry cream thickens. Whisking the whole time.
- Step 5 Place in bowl and cover top with saran wrap for at least 4 hours.
- Step 6 Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9″ springform pan with butter.
- Step 7 Beat together egg, milk, and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Step 8 In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and butter until it has the texture of wet sand.
- Step 9 Add the egg mixture to the bowl and mix until just combined with a spatula.
- Step 10 Transfer to pan and set aside.
- Step 11 In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and butter with fingertips. The mixture will look very crumbly. Top the cake mix with the streusel.
- Step 12 Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Step 13 Remove shortcake and place on cooling rack immediately. Cool completely before assembly.
- Step 14 Cut cake into two equal layers. Add pastry cream and top with cherries on bottom layer.
You must be logged in to post a comment.