So I made a HUGE batch of salted whiskey caramel and wanted to make good use of it. Apples. Caramel. These two things go hand-in-hand. I decided to make an apple tart but I wanted it to look really pretty like those on Pinterest, cause why not lol? For this recipe, it’s best to use a mandoline. It’s ok if you don’t have one, you’ll just need to be extra diligent and cut the apple slices super thin. I have the OXO handheld mandoline and sliced the apples at the thinnest setting which was 1mm. You’ll also need 5 inch mini tart pans. If you prefer, you can make this into a giant 9 inch tart instead – you may need a few more apples in order to fill the top though.
Rolling roses is pretty simple. You need to lay out a line of apple slices evenly (all slices in the same direction) and overlapped about 2/3 of the way. Then you start rolling from one end all the way to the other. Here’s a video that may be helpful!
Apple Tart with Salted Whiskey Caramel
- Tart Crust
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Salted Whiskey Caramel (recipe found in blog)
- Apple Roses
- 2 large apples, decored and sliced thinly (I prefer to use honeycrisps or pink ladies for baking)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 F and grease tart pans.
- Step 2 Add butter, sugar, and salt to a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Step 3 Divide the dough evenly into four equal parts and press the dough into the tart pans (you may use the bottom of a glass cup to help even out the dough).
- Step 4 Place the tart shell in the refrigerator and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Step 5 Clean, decore, and slice the apples into a large bowl.
- Step 6 Add the sugar and cinnamon to the apples and toss to ensure all the slices are coated.
- Step 7 Set aside and allow the apples to soften for 30 minutes (mix the apples after the first 15 minutes).
- Step 8 Bake the tart shells for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Step 9 Allow to cool slightly before constructing the apple part.
- Step 10 On a flat surface, lay out the apple slices and roll then into 4 roses.
- Step 11 Place a tablespoon of caramel into each tart shell and top off with one of the roses.
- Step 12 Bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Step 13 Cool completely before serving.
You must be logged in to post a comment.